Friday 24 April 2015

Chapter-16

Chapter 16


Until he came home, I had no choice but to wait.
I looked at my room and immediately got emotional.
All I could think of is how this wouldn't last for long.
Nothing would, not my room, not our garden, not even the apple tree my mother and I had planted in our backyard when I was four, I still couldn't believe it grew to be so big and gave us so many plump, scrumptious, red apples that still decorate the tree even today.

Slowly pushing myself, I managed to climb up the stairs all the way up to my room.

As I saw through my window I could see a few of my colony mates and friends playing tag, running around in the lush green grass, laughing and having a whale of time without me.

I suddenly realized that from the day I leave to India, I wouldn't be able to play with them ever again, in fact I may not even see them ever again.

I jumped on to my bed and immediately closed my eyes thinking of all the good things about life.
The moments of joy, happiness and laughter I had spent in my life filled my thoughts and slowly put me asleep.

I woke up startled, I had so many questions,
Where did my pony go? Am I not dreaming? How long was I asleep? Where was my mother? But most important of all, didn't my father come home yet?

I scurried downstairs to see my father who was all freshened up and ready on the dining table to have supper.

I rushed up to him agitated, confused and grief-stricken.
I had so many questions that tenanted my mind that I didn't know what I was going to ask him when I spoke.

"But what if they're chinese?" I blurted out all of a sudden.

"What?" my father asked fuddled by my question.

"When we go to India, amma said we were giving this house for rent and if we are giving it for rent to some people who don't know English like-chinese people then how will we talk to them and ask it back, does that mean that we're not gonna get our house back? But I love this house! What about our garden and the apple tree? And my friends? Nana I don't want to leave nana, please nana, I don't want to go!" 
I remember saying all of it so fast and apparently thinking that the chinese did not know English, completely forgetting that half of my friends were chinese. I must've thought they were considered to be more 'American'.

My father let out a grin.


No comments: