Saturday 9 May 2015

Chapter-21


Chapter-21

The weather was cooler in America. So it was weird for me, getting on a plane cool and getting off, boiling hot.
As I struggled to fan myself, I started to analyse my surroundings. 
I didn't find the airport as great as the one in America, especially because people had to wait outside in the hot sun, I just couldn't wait any longer, if I did, I was pretty sure I would turn into Aneesha-fries. 
Just then I heard a noise behind me, I turned to see a blue, alto car, which in those days was pretty neat.
"Driver, get these bags into the trunk." said my grandmother.
You'd think that if someone had a driver
they'd be very rich. But here in India it is very common for even a mediocre family to have a driver. It's just another normal thing and hence, the salary for these men is very low.

In India everybody also has a maid. I am not kidding, literally, EVERYBODY.
And these ladies also have a very low salary.
After the man put our suitcases inside the trunk, we got in. It was great that the car had A/C, because otherwise instead of Aneesha-fries I would become Aneesha-the boiled potato.
"So, Aswini, what's the plan for this month? Planning to see Chennai?" my grandmother questioned my mother.

"Yeah mom, that and I'm thinking of joining Aneesha in a few classes, to keep her busy." replied my mother. A lot of times adults just assumed I wasn't listening to them because sometimes, I wasn't. I would be dreaming, in my own world, paying no intention to their conversation. That was basically how I spent most of my time fighting boredom.

"We're here! Get down Aneesha, your uncle, aunt and grandpa are waiting for you." as my grandmother spoken these words, I immidiately got down and ran inside the house, I knew which one was my grandmas because every year we would come here, to India for my holidays. It was a light blue coloured, independent house in which the top half was my grandmothers familys and the bottom belonged to someone else.

As I stepped inside, I immidiately heard "Hi Aneesha!".
I turned up to see my Uncle, aunt and grandfather.
"Hi Kishore Mama, Hi thatha, Hi Durga Athaaaaaa!" I immidiately shouted.

"How are you doing?" asked my aunt, whom I called 'Atha', mostly 'Durga Atha' (her name with aunt)
"I'm fine, how are you all doing?" I asked her.
"Oh we are doing fine. We are so excited to have you here, there are so many places to see in Chennai, I'm planning to show you them, just you and me, while amma and ammuma are busy. Hey by the way Aswini, what classes are you planning to join Aneesha in?"





No comments: