Thursday 28 May 2015

Chapter-28

Chapter 28


"What are you going to do now?" I asked her, assuming she was pretty bored.
"I think I'm going to go to bed now..." she replied, yawning slowly.
"Good night." I said.
"Good night" she echoed back.

I slowly left the room, as soon as I put a foot outside, a rush of hot air greeted my face.
I wasn't used to this at all.
How did it become so hot all of a sudden?
I walked through the heat into the kitchen, which was far more sultry.
"What happened to the weather?" I asked my aunt, who was tidying things up, and soon going to go to bed too.
"The power's gone." she replied, feeling humid.
"What?" I asked confused
"The power's gone.." she replied sadly.

Just then I remembered about the constant power cuts.
The electricity went 4-5 times a day every time we came to India.
It was so inconvenient. 
Luckily, we had an inverter. It was something that stored power before the electricity went and gave it to us when the electricity went.

But even this had a loophole, the air conditioning in the hall and some other rooms didn't work.
Leaving us with the useless fans, that barely gave any air.

"Oh...I guess I'll have to eat my pizza hot then.." I joked.
"Hahaha, Yes and remember if you feel too hot come inside, you can always eat the pizza tomorrow. I'm going to bed, if you need anything I'll be in that room. Good night Aneesha!" she said in one breath.
"Ok, Good night." I said softly.
I guess she was tired, she'd been working all day.

I took my slice of pizza and sat in the sofa, as my friendship with the chennai heat grew stronger.
We were getting to know each other, how I, being an NRI couldn't resist the slightest amount of heat, while it could keep getting worse by the minute, leaving me extremely uncomfortable.

I couldn't go where there was A/C, because the A/C was only in the bedrooms. I had to eat the pizza and I couldn't eat it in the bedroom; that would be a violation of table manners.

Keeping the pizza in mind I battled the Chennai heat with all my might for about three minutes.
But then I realised that I would eventually lose anyway.
I COULDN'T BEAR THE HEAT!
My battle was getting intense now. I had nothing to do, nowhere to go, keeping my dear pizza within my clutch.

There was only one way to escape this heat, I had to eat the pizza as fast as I could, as soon as possible. (Duh, I wasn't going to give up on it for all the heat in the world.)

I opened my mouth as wide as I could and took the biggest bite of pizza in my life.

By doing this I finished the whole slice in about 5 bites! Interestingly I can't do that today.

I ran into the kitchen with supersonic speed, washed the plate as fast as I could and ran, ran into the room like an olympian.

The wave of relief I felt as the cold air touched my feet was the most pleasant feeling in the world.
It felt as if finally, after thousands of days of living in the hot desert, I had returned home, home to my dear Air conditioning.


No comments: